A dog and cat died from smoke inhalation in a Christmas afternoon house fire that broke out in Mahwah this morning while the residents were at church, authorities said.
Officers Michael Connington and Matthew Lombardo tried getting in but were forced back after a neighbor saw flames coming out a back window at the Wyckoff Avenue house, Police Chief James Batelli told CLIFFVIEW PILOT .
Officials deemed the house unihabitable, Batelli said.
The residents were staying with relatives.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.