BEYOND BERGEN: A Roselle Park woman was charged with child endangerment after she left her 2-year-old daughter home alone today in an apartment with a lighted stove and a plugged-in iron — both of which had ignited clothes — authorities said.
The building superintendent told investigators he entered the apartment with a social worker and another nearby civilian after seeing smoke just before 10 o’clock this morning.
He found the child lying on a bed next to smoldering clothes and a hot, plugged-in iron, and saws more clothing that caught fire on top of a lighted stove and filled the kitchen with smoke, Acting Union County Prosecutor Grace H. Park said.
The girl was taken to a nearby hospital for what appeared to be smoke inhalation and is expected to be OK, the prosecutor said.
Authorities located and arrested her mother, 26-year-old Murlande Colin, several miles away in Cranford several hours later, she said. Colin was being held on $25,000 bail.
Park thanked the Roselle Park Police Department, as well as the quick-thinking building super and citizens at the Woodside Gardens apartment complex who helped him.
She noted that the investigation was continuing and that there could be additional developments.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.